Friday, February 6, 2015

Milani Cosmetics Moisture Matte Lipsticks Review, Swatches, Photos


It seems like a new collection of matte lipsticks are released every week.  I don't know if it's the versatility, opacity, or staying power of this unique finish that has taken over many a lipstick collection but whatever the reason matte lipstick is here to stay.  
Recently Milani cosmetics unleashed their own take on the matte lippy phenomenon and beauty bloggers and makeup artists alike have been buzzing about them all over social media.  Although I am late to review these flat finished beauties, I have been eyeing them from afar since their initial release.  


So we already know they are an Instagram sensation.  The gilded packaging is a glistening staple on any beauty lovers vanity, but with all the matte lipsticks hitting the market lately it takes more than just shimmering packaging for us to open our hearts and our wallets to the new matte lipstick on the block.  



So let's get down to business.  
The Formula:  The formula for these lipsticks stands out from a lot of other brands on the market today. They aren't chalky and super drying like many of your extreme matte formulas like Mac or Melt lipsticks tend to be.  This can be considered both a pro and a con depending on your personal preference.  They glide on more smoothly and don't leave your lips chapped like your more matte formulas but that means that they don't have the staying power of those brands either.  They also don't have that overtly matte finish (ie. Rubywoo) that we have grown to love.  However, I will say with a little wear the emollients rub off a bit and you are left with a nice stain and a more matte finish.  They also aren't as opaque as other varieties of matte lipstick.  You'll definitely want to pair them with a good primer and lip liner to get the pigmentation just right.  
 Shade Range: The colors in this collection are beautiful.  The vibrant pinks and purples have won the hearts of makeup artists and makeup addicts alike, but even the nudes are quite pretty.  Very pale nudes look notoriously crummy on women of color like myself, but somehow in this particular formula they are surprisingly wearable.  While they aren't astounding, the reds in this collection are still quite pretty.  Passion is a spunky, orange toned red and Confident is a slightly vampy twist on your classic blue toned red.   Orchid has got to be my favorite color from this collection as fuchsia lipstick was my first true makeup obsession.  I love the depth and electricity of this shade.  In my opinion it is the shining star from this line.  Diva is quite similar to orchid, but I don't think it is as flattering for women of color or those with yellow undertones.  It is, however, a stunner on women with fair skin.  I still adore this color and intend work it into my summer makeup routine.  Blissful is the third and lightest pink from this collection.  It appears to be a mauve color in the tube but actually applies like a sweet sherbet pink with blue undertones.  It is an adorable baby doll color if you can pull it off.  Innocence and Naked are the two nude shades from this collection and don't require much explanation.  Innocence is probably better suited for fair skinned ladies and Naked is the more likely choice for you deeper or olive toned girls out there.  While 8 shades isn't an extensive range, it's still a great start and I'm genuinely looking forward to new shades being released in the future.  
The Price:  Here is where Milani has 95% of the competition beat.  I picked up the entire collection at my local CVS.  I waited until they were offering a buy one get one 50% off (which is a recurring promotion) and I had a coupon for $4 off a $15 cosmetics purchase.  With those deals combined I was able to score the entire collection for $32 plus a little tax. The only other matte lipsticks I can think of in a comparable price range would be Wet N' Wild Matte Lipsticks, Maybelline Creamy Mattes and Colour Pop Lippie Stix.  With some of your more prestige matte lipsticks costing upwards of $20 a pop this is a welcome deviation from the status quo.  
The Final Verdict:  Can you live without these in your collection?  Yes.  Should you?  Absolutely not! If nothing else spring for Diva, Orchid, and Glam.  These are the kind of super vibrant shades you rarely find in drugstore brands and they really are as stunning as they appear in photos.  The whole collection is really lovely though and if there is room in your heart for one more family of matte lipsticks I think these beauties are deserving.  

Now that I've talked you to death I'll give you what we all know you really came for…SWATCHES!!!! Allow me to leave this little disclaimer though.  This was my first time swatching this many colors in one session.  I had no idea how labor intensive it would actually be.  These swatches are by no means perfect. Between the flaking lips, a pimple that appeared out of the blue, and a random fuzz I didn't find until it was time to edit these swatches, this is definitely an art I have yet to polish.  I am still pleased with how they turned out but if you were expecting flawless then I'm sorry to say you came to the wrong place.  
I love you all for reading.  Stay tuned because the best has yet to come! 
-Samara

Milani Moisture Matte Naked
Milani Moisture Matte Innocence


Milani Moisture Matte Orchid
Milani Moisture Matte Diva





Milani Moisture Matte Glam

Milani Moisture Matte Confident
Milani Moisture Matte Passion









No comments:

Post a Comment